TheCastle of Kars(Turkish:Kars Kalesi,Armenian:Կարսի բերդ) is a formerfortificationlocated inKars,Turkey.It is also known under the nameİç Kale( "Central/Inner Castle", "Citadel" ).
Castle of Kars | |
---|---|
Kars Kalesi | |
Kars,Turkey | |
![]() Castle of Kars | |
Coordinates | 40°36′49″N43°05′23″E/ 40.61361°N 43.08972°E |
Type | Castle |
Site information | |
Controlled by | Ministry of Culture and Tourism |
Open to the public | yes |
Condition | Visitor attraction |
Site history | |
Built | 1153, 1579, 1616, 1636 |
Built by | Bagratid dynasty(prior to 1153), VizierFiruz Akay (1153), Lala Kara Mustafa Pasha(1579) |
Materials | Basaltmasonry |
Demolished | 1386, 1606, 1878 |
Battles/wars | Battle of KarsatRusso-Turkish War (1877–1878) Caucasus campaign |
It was first built during the rule of theArmenianBagratid dynastyand then rebuilt in 1153 byFiruz AkayCommissioned by Sultan Melik IzzeddinSaltuk II.The outer walls surrounding the city were built in the 12th century. The castle, which was destroyed byTimurin 1386, was rebuilt again in 1579 byLala Mustafa Pasha,who came to Kars ordered by the Ottoman SultanMurat III.
It is said in the Ottoman sources that the castle was rebuilt with the help of one hundred thousand soldiers and workers. In 1606, the castle was destroyed by theIranianShahAbbas I,and in 1616 and in 1636 it was restored twice and new elements were added to it. The castle was badly damaged after the occupation of the Russians after theOttoman-Russian War of 1877-1878,and partially changed after 40 years of occupation. The walls of the Castle of Kars were made ofbasaltmasonry.
Layout
editThe castle consisted of two sections, the internal and the external castles. The external walls were made of five layers. In addition, there were deep trenches made in front of it. The main castle looks to the east. The planning of the walls of the external castle is not quite quadrangle. The length of the castle's perimeter makes 3,500 m (11,500 ft), it was supported with 22 watchtowers, of which only seven remained intact until today.
The length of the internal castle makes 250 m (820 ft) in the east-west direction, and about 90 m (300 ft) in the north-south direction. The castle has four gates. The "Su Kapısı" (literally: Water Gate) or "Çeribaşı Kapısı" is situated in the west, "Kagizman Kapısı" orta "Orta Kapı" in the south and "Behram Kapı" in the east. The main gate located in the north opens up to achasmin front of the castle.
The castle's watchtower can be accessed by climbing the stairs or along the stone paved road.
Just inside the main entrance is a shrine containing the tomb ofJelal Babawho died during theMongolian invasionin 1239. Within the castle are military lodgings, an ammunition depot, and a small mosque that was rebuilt in the 1990s.
Today, the castle is administered by theMinistry of Culture and Tourism.[1]
Cultural events
editIn 2005, the castle hosted a music concert by Turkish pop singerSezen Aksuattended by around 25,000 people.[2]
During theIslamicfastingmonth ofRamadanin 2011, aMevleviSamaceremony was held for the first time at the castle.[3]
References
edit- ^Kars City GuideArchived2012-01-06 at theWayback Machine.
- ^"Sezen Aksu Kars Kalesi'nde 25 bin kişiyi coşturdu".Sabah(in Turkish). 2005-10-03.Retrieved2011-12-31.
- ^"Kars Kalesi'nde ilk sema".Sabah(in Turkish). 2011-08-17. Archived fromthe originalon 2012-09-09.Retrieved2011-12-31.